Every time I make these bites, someone asks me for the recipe. They are so good that I have to put them in the freezer so that my kid doesn’t eat them too quickly. These can be made in large quantities and freeze well.
1 cup pitted dates (Medjool dates are ideal… about 11 large dates)
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 pinch sea salt
1 tsp. ground cardamom (adjust 1/4 teaspoon more or less, depending on taste and freshness)
1/2 tsp. packed orange zest
TOPPING (optional, but yummy)
1 tsp. orange zest
3 Tbsp. coconut
1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE THEM:
- In a food processor add pitted dates, cashews, coconut, sea salt, cardamom and orange zest (you can use a blender, but dates can be sticky!)
- Pulse until combined and dates are broken down (not a paste however, it should stick together). Adjust salt, cardamom and orange to taste.
- If using the topping, in a separate small bowl combine the orange zest, coconut flake and sugar.
- Roll the balls – about 1 tablespoon in size. Roll each into a ball and then roll in the topping.
- Refrigerate to firm up. Can be stored in fridge up to one week or freeze up to 1 month.